1 unit, P/NP, class number: 24220
Are you a student who wants to earn a unit for reading Exit West and participating in On the Same Page this fall? If so, L&S 10 is the course for you.
Here are the course requirements
- Read the novel and participate in discussions about it, in the format of a kind of virtual book group. Once we know who is in the class we will form groups in similar time zones to get together three times during the semester to discuss the first, second and third thirds of the novel.
- Post a substantive response to Exit West on bcourses. Your response can take any of a number of forms, from a short essay to a video to a song or a Prezi . . . be creative!
- Comment (on bcourses) on at least three other students’ responses to the book.
- Write up a response to at least one OTSP event on bcourses. Options include the keynote on August 21 (if you attended–or you can watch the video), one of the films in the Pacific Film Archive’s Exit West film series, or an event at Berkeley Art museum (also virtual) called No Place Like Home.
- Post at least three responses to peers’ event posts.
- Attend two virtual class meetings, featuring special guest speakers, on two Tuesday evenings from 6:30-8:00. The dates this semester will be September 22 and November 10. If you cannot attend the class meetings, speak with the instructor about an alternative assignment.
On the Same Page is designed to welcome you into the intellectual community at Cal. We firmly believe that interacting with faculty–and with other students–around a topic of mutual interest is one of the best ways to ensure the quality of your education. All of the activities required for L&S 10 will be fun and interactive and educational. You will be glad you participated!
Our hope is that participating fully in On the Same Page will be so rewarding that you will continue to seek out enrichment opportunities throughout your undergraduate years at Cal.