If you would like to discuss The Undocumented Americans online with a range of people from the Cal community, consider joining our exclusive Goodreads Community.
For those of you who already have a Goodreads account under your berkeley.edu address, simply join the community here.
Those of you with a Goodreads account under a different email address have two options: either create an additional Goodreads account under your berkeley.edu address (this is not the ideal option), or go into your settings on your existing Goodreads account and change your email address to your berkeley.edu account (best option). Then join the community here.
Undergraduates who wish to earn a unit for engaging in a more in-depth discussion of the book–and attending the program events this fall–are invited to enroll in L&S 10, which is largely an online course but does include two in-person class meetings, for face-to-face interaction.
See you online!
If you are interested in sharing thoughts about The Undocumented Americans with a wider community, consider the following option:
KINDLE NOTES & HIGHLIGHTS ON GOODREADS – STUDENT GUIDE
- Share and discuss insights with other students
- Create a reference sheet to help prepare for exams and essay writing
- Remember more of what you read
What is Goodreads?
Goodreads can help you find more books you’ll love, keep track of books you want to read, and get recommendations from readers like you. Goodreads is free to use.
What are Kindle Notes & Highlights on Goodreads?
Kindle Notes & Highlights on Goodreads gives you the ability to share, edit, and review the notes and highlights you make in Kindle books. You can keep any or all of your notes and highlights private, or you can choose notes and highlights to share and discuss with friends.
How do I get started?
You need a Kindle e-book on any Kindle app or device and a Goodreads account.
- For Kindle, download one of the free Kindle apps or use a Kindle e-reader or Fire tablet, or the web-based reader at read.amazon.com.
- For Goodreads, download the free Goodreads iOS app or Android app, or you can sign up at www.goodreads.com.
Next, connect your Kindle and Goodreads accounts at www.goodreads.com/amazon. This will allow you to access, edit, and share your Kindle notes and highlights on Goodreads.
Where do I find all of the notes and highlights I’ve already made in Kindle books?
Go to www.goodreads.com/notes to see all of the books in your Kindle library with notes and highlights.
I haven’t made any notes and highlights yet. What do I do?
- Open up the Kindle e-book you want to annotate. (You can read a Kindle e-book on the free Kindle apps, on a Kindle e-reader or a Fire tablet, or on the web-based reader at read.amazon.com.)
- Highlight a passage that is meaningful to you. IMPORTANT: Be sure to highlight complete sentences (up to about 110 words) and not just a single word. This will ensure you have the context for any notes you make.
- You can add a note inside the book, or you can wait and add the notes on Goodreads. (It may be easier to do this on Goodreads on your laptop, using a full keyboard, if you have a lot of thoughts to add. You can add some prompts for this while inside the book.)
- Search for the book on Goodreads and go to the main book page. Click on the link to your notes and highlights. (You will find the link in the My Activity section just below the book details section.)
- Add your notes if you haven’t already.
How do I make my notes and highlights visible to my friends?
All notes and highlights are private by default. You can choose which annotations you want to make visible by switching the toggle to “On” next to each annotation. There is an easy way to make all of the annotations in a book visible at the top.
How do I prevent people from seeing a spoiler?
You have the ability to mark an annotation as a spoiler. People can then choose whether or not to click to reveal it.
How can I use this with my study group?
- Make sure that you are all friends on Goodreads. To do this, share your profile link with each other. Or you can search for your friends by name – just click on the Friends icon in the header of the website (it’s located next to your profile image over on the top right-hand side of the website).
- To find your friends’ notes and highlights, search for the book on Goodreads, and look for the links in the Friends Ratings and Reviews section.